Care to Learn - Help with the costs of childcare

The Care to Learn scheme can help you with childcare costs while you study. You must be aged under 20 at the start of your course. The scheme is available for publicly-funded courses in England.

You can receive Care to Learn if:
  • You are a parent under the age of 20 at the start of your course
  • You are the main carer for your child
  • You live in England
  • You are with a British citizen or a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country
  • Your course qualifies
  • Your childcare provider qualifies
To qualify, your childcare provider must be registered with Ofsted. They can be a:
  • Childminder
  • Preschool playgroup
  • Day nursery
  • Out of school club
If your child needs specialist childcare, the provider must also be on the Care Quality Commission's register for specialist provision. If you want a relative to receive Care to Learn for looking after your child they need to be both:
  • Providing registered childcare for children they are not related to
  • Living apart from you and your child
You are not eligible for Care to Learn if:
  • You are an apprentice who receives a salary
  • You are doing a higher education course
The college must be supplied with confirmation of the child carer’s Ofsted registration and their public liability insurance Full details of the scheme and the application form are available at:

For further information please call Student Services on 01252 407394, email, or visit the Student Services Office.